Environmental Impact Assessment
- Incorporates the latest in sustainable design features to promote energy savings and reduce dependence on non-renewable resources
- Will lead to a total fossil fuel impact (gallons saved) of nearly 100,000 gallons annually by year 10 and more than 230,000 gallons annually by year 20
- Will lead to regional CO2 emission reductions of up to 1.5 million lbs. annually by year 10 and more than 3.7 million lbs. annually by year 20
Timely environmental reviews and compliance with the requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), are required to ensure that the mitigation of any identified environmental impacts does not, delay the completion of the project or extend the project past the scheduled completion date of February 2012.
To meet this goal, GBT initiated the NEPA evaluation for this project on August 12, 2009 with an expedited schedule anticipating completion by January/February 2010. Included in the scope is the preparation of a Federal Categorical Exclusion with Documentation (CE-D) and a State of Connecticut Environmental Impact Evaluation (EIE). The CE-D will satisfy the National Environmental Policy Act and is being prepared in accordance with FTA guidelines and formats. The EIE is required under the Connecticut Environmental Policy Act (CEPA) as State funds are being used (currently State funding is being used to match previous appropriations received in FFY 06, 07, 08, 09). The EIE process also requires scoping notices as well as notices of availability and public hearings in the Connecticut Environmental Monitor.
Since the notice to proceed the following NEPA and CEPA tasks are underway or have been completed:
- Collecting state, local and regional planning documents that will be used in the Plan consistency, land use, and zoning sections of the document
- Beginning to coordinate with local and regional planning agencies regarding GIS files that will be needed to map resources
- Visiting the site to take pictures and collect other data
- Completing the advertisement for the CT Environmental Monitor
- Preparing NEPA document draft outline and table of contents
- Completing the Environmental Justice draft report
As environmental review documents are prepared, they will be posted here for review.